Recent deployments of The Highlanders
Since the amalgamation of the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) and the Gordon Highlanders to form The Highlanders in 1994, the battalion has been on operations in Northern Ireland (3 times) and Bosnia. Elements of the Battalion have also been deployed to Macedonia and Kosovo. Individuals were deployed to Sierra Leone and The Gulf. They were deployed on OP Telic 7 in october 2005 until April 2006.
In March 2006 the Battalion was amalgamated to form the new Super Regiment of Scotland known as The Royal Regiment of Scotland. The Highlanders are the 4th Bn commonly known as 4 Scots.
In March of 2004 The Highlanders moved to Fallingbostel in Germany. The Battalion trainined for its (then) new role as an armoured infantry regiment, living in, and fighting out of, the Warrior Armoured Fighting Vehicle. The Battalion was now a member of 7 Armoured Brigade nicknamed the Desert Rats.
As well as operational deployments the battalion was used to provide emergency fire cover in Glasgow during the firefighters' strikes of 2003. The battalion was also used in the massive farm animal cull that brought about the control of the Foot and mouth epidemic in 2002.
The battalion had a very successful pipeband who travelled all over the world and were also involved in the Highlanders' tour of the Gulf.
In 2006 the regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Scots, the Royal Highland Fusiliers, the King's Own Scottish Borderers, the Black Watch and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
Regimental Toast of The Highlanders
Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, 's nan Gaisgeach;
- Far am faighear an t-eun fionn
- 'S far am faigh am faidh fasgadh
- Cho fada's chitear ceo mu bheann
- 'S a ruitheas uisge le gleann,
- Mairidh cuimhne air euchd nan treun
- Slainte agus buaidh gu brath
- Le Gillean Gleadach
- Cabarfeidh gu brath !
The Land of Hills, Glens and Heroes; (Translation.)
- Where the Ptarmigan thrives
- And where the red deer finds shelter.
- As long as mist hangs o'er the Mountains
- And water runs in the glens.
- The deeds of the Brave will be remembered
- Health and Success forever
- To the Lads from the Highlands
- Cabarfeidh gu Brath !
- (The Deer's Horns Forever !)