The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home

Difference between revisions of "P-08"

From ARRSEpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(3 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Category:Weapons]]
+
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/luger_p08.jpg
  
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/luger_p08.jpg
+
Without a doubt, the P-08 semi-automatic [[pistol]] is one of the most famous firearms of the 20th century. It's distinctive toggle lock and sleek lines make it very recognizable, as do the fact that it was a standard sidearm of the German armed forces for a period spanning nearly a half century, and produced in large quantities. It is well-known even to many people who know or care nothing about historic firearms.
 +
 
 +
The P-08 is a reasonably accurate pistol with a fixed bbl and comfortable grip to frame angle, however the tight manufacturing tolerances proved it to be unreliable in the battlefield conditions of the [[Great War]].
  
Without a doubt, the Luger [[semiautomatic]] [[pistol]] is one of the most famous firearms of the 20th century. It's distinctive toggle lock and sleek lines make it very recognizable, as do the fact that it was a standard sidearm of the German, Swiss, and other armies for a period spanning nearly a half century, and produced in large quantities. It is well-known even to many people who know or care nothing about historic firearms.
+
Georg Luger, an employee of Loewe & Co., took the Borchardt pistol as a starting point for designing the first pistols resembling what would become the P-08. This included the development of a new cartridge, the 7.65 Parabellum (aka 7.65x23 and .30 Luger,) which is a 2mm shorter version of the Borchardt cartridge with a different powder charge. In addition to the new cartridge, he also designed a less complex mechanism. While the toggle-lock of the Borchardt was retained, the bizarre mainspring and correspondingly large housing it necessitated was replaced by a leaf spring in the grip, greatly improving the balance. The grip was given a more ergonomic angle and a grip safety was added to the rear of the frame by 1904.
  
The Luger has always been known for it's accuracy. Factors contributing to this include tight manufacturing tolerances, excellent grip angle and shape, good trigger pull, and the fact that the barrel stays in a fixed position relative to the rest of the pistol except in the front-back dimension (no tipping as in [[Colt M1911|Browning]]-style designs).  
+
After making these changes, Loewe vigourously sought military contracts for production of the pistol, and it was entered into the 1898 Swiss Army trials. Here it was received with success and was adopted as the Ordonnanz Pistole 1900 in 7.65mm, to be produced both at DWM and the Bern Arsenal. They are readily identifiable by, (amongst other things,) the Helvetic cross above the chamber.  
  
Georg Luger, an employee of Loewe & Co., took the Borchardt pistol as a starting point for designing the first pistols resembling what we would call a "Luger." The changes he made included development of a new cartridge, the 7.65 Parabellum or 7.65x23 cartridge (also called .30 Luger in USA), which is a 2mm shorter version of the Borchardt cartridge with a different powder charge. (The 7.63 Mauser has a 25mm case). In addition to the new cartridge, Luger also redesigned the complex mechanism behind the grip. He retained the toggle-locking action of the Borchardt, but replaced the Borchardt's bizarre mainspring and the large housing it necessitated with a leaf spring in the grip, improving the balance of the pistol. He also angled the grip for better pointability. A grip safety was added to the rear of the frame by 1904.
+
A number of other countries evaluated the weapon, including the USA, for which Loewe & Co. manufactured a small number in .45ACP. The reliability let the pistol down and the sidearm accepted was that which became the model 1911. They were also sold commercially in this period, but were never a big seller due to the high price.
  
After making the changes described above, Loewe vigourously sought military contracts for production of the pistol. The first major success came in Switzerland, which adopted the Luger as its service pistol in 1900, in the 7.65 caliber. Switzerland produced Lugers for army use at an arms factory in Bern. Swiss pistols can be identified by the Swiss federal cross above the chamber. A number of other countries evaluated the Luger, including the USA, for which Loewe & Co. manufactured a number of Lugers in caliber .45ACP. The Luger was defeated in trials by the Colt-Browning that became the model 1911. Lugers were also sold commercially in this period, but the Luger was never a big seller due to it's high cost.  
+
In an attempt to allay concerns about poor "[[stopping power]]" of the rd, Luger developed a second cartridge, the [[9mm Parabellum]] (aka 9x19, 9mm NATO and 9mm Luger.The cartridge case has the same base dimensions as the 7.65x23, but is shorter and not bottlenecked. A number of design changes to the pistol were made in the early 1900s, including replacment of the leaf mainspring with a coil spring, and deletion the grip safety.
  
In an attempt to allay concerns about poor stopping power with such a small-caliber [[bullet]], Georg Luger developed a second cartridge, the [[9mm Parabellum]]. The 9mm Parabellum also goes by the names 9mm Luger and 9x19mm, and is distinct from a number of other cartridges that use the designation "9mm" in their names (such as 9mm short, 9mm Makarov, 9mm largo). The 9mm Parabellum cartridge cartridge case has the same base dimensions as the 7.65x23 Parabellum cartridge, but is not necked down, and is shorter, only 19mm long. A number of design changes to the Luger were made in the early 1900s, including replacing the leaf mainspring with a coil spring, and deleting the grip safety. Some pistols were produced with a lug to attach a shoulder stock. The so-called "new model" Luger of 1904 in caliber 9mm Parabellum was accepted by the [[German navy]] and later the army and designated the P08. Thereafter, [[German military]] sales accounted for the vast majority of Lugers ever produced.
+
Some pistols has a slotted backstrap to enable a wooden combination holster/shoulderstock to be fitted. The so-called 'new model' of 1904 in 9mm Parabellum was accepted by the [[German]] [[Navy]] and later the army and designated the P08. Thereafter, [[German]] [[military]] sales accounted for the vast majority of production.
  
 
[[Category:Historical Weapons]]
 
[[Category:Historical Weapons]]

Latest revision as of 23:38, 14 March 2011

luger_p08.jpg

Without a doubt, the P-08 semi-automatic pistol is one of the most famous firearms of the 20th century. It's distinctive toggle lock and sleek lines make it very recognizable, as do the fact that it was a standard sidearm of the German armed forces for a period spanning nearly a half century, and produced in large quantities. It is well-known even to many people who know or care nothing about historic firearms.

The P-08 is a reasonably accurate pistol with a fixed bbl and comfortable grip to frame angle, however the tight manufacturing tolerances proved it to be unreliable in the battlefield conditions of the Great War.

Georg Luger, an employee of Loewe & Co., took the Borchardt pistol as a starting point for designing the first pistols resembling what would become the P-08. This included the development of a new cartridge, the 7.65 Parabellum (aka 7.65x23 and .30 Luger,) which is a 2mm shorter version of the Borchardt cartridge with a different powder charge. In addition to the new cartridge, he also designed a less complex mechanism. While the toggle-lock of the Borchardt was retained, the bizarre mainspring and correspondingly large housing it necessitated was replaced by a leaf spring in the grip, greatly improving the balance. The grip was given a more ergonomic angle and a grip safety was added to the rear of the frame by 1904.

After making these changes, Loewe vigourously sought military contracts for production of the pistol, and it was entered into the 1898 Swiss Army trials. Here it was received with success and was adopted as the Ordonnanz Pistole 1900 in 7.65mm, to be produced both at DWM and the Bern Arsenal. They are readily identifiable by, (amongst other things,) the Helvetic cross above the chamber.

A number of other countries evaluated the weapon, including the USA, for which Loewe & Co. manufactured a small number in .45ACP. The reliability let the pistol down and the sidearm accepted was that which became the model 1911. They were also sold commercially in this period, but were never a big seller due to the high price.

In an attempt to allay concerns about poor "stopping power" of the rd, Luger developed a second cartridge, the 9mm Parabellum (aka 9x19, 9mm NATO and 9mm Luger.) The cartridge case has the same base dimensions as the 7.65x23, but is shorter and not bottlenecked. A number of design changes to the pistol were made in the early 1900s, including replacment of the leaf mainspring with a coil spring, and deletion the grip safety.

Some pistols has a slotted backstrap to enable a wooden combination holster/shoulderstock to be fitted. The so-called 'new model' of 1904 in 9mm Parabellum was accepted by the German Navy and later the army and designated the P08. Thereafter, German military sales accounted for the vast majority of production.