Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers
Originally raised in 1667 as Sir Walter Vane's Regiment of Foot it was soon disbanded only to be reformed several years later for service in the Low Countries during the Dutch Wars. Comprised of mainly Irish troops the regiment - in common with other units raised as such - was transferred to the English army establishment.
The regiment was numbered as the 6th Foot in 1747 and received its Warwickshire title in 1782 - becoming the 6th (1st Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot. A further title change occurred in 1832: 6th (Royal 1st Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot; and in 1881 the Cardwell reforms saw the loss of the numeric title, the regiment now becoming the Royal Warwickshire Regiment - the county regiment of Warwickshire. Militia and Volunteer Force battalions were formed in this year also.
The regiment became a fusilier regiment in 1963 and was retitled accordingly as the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers. Unfortunately, the regiment's days were numbered and its short-lived tenure as a fusilier unit ended in 1968 when it was amalgamated with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) and the Lancashire Fusiliers to form the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.