201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Battery
201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Battery, Royal Artillery (Volunteers) was formed in Luton on 1st April 1967 as a Medium Battery, equipped with the 5.5-in. towed gun. The Battery converted to use the 105mm Light Gun in October 1980, and split into two troops based in Luton and St Albans in July 1987. This move increased the recruiting catchment for the Battery. The Battery converted again, this time to the 155mm FH70 in October 1993. The FH70 was then taken out of service (sold to Saudi Arabia) and fired for the last time in the UK on 23rd January 1999.
Surviving the Strategic Defence Review, 201 Battery was stripped of its TA centre in St Albans, leaving only Luton as its home, and were re-established as a 105mm Light Gun Battery, although its primary affiliation with 40 Regt RA meant that a dual capacity to operate the 155mm AS90 was undertaken.
Many members of 201 Battery were mobilised at various times from the beginning of Op Telic, serving primarily with 7 (Para) Regt RHA, and then with other Artillery units over the following 2 years.
The Battery remains the only unit still entitled to wear the Airborne Forces Pegasus badge as a Battle Honour on the right lower sleeve. This was earned by the Battery's predecessor 419 Heavy Battery of the 52nd (Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Heavy Regiment RA, in giving desperately needed fire support to 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem in September 1944.
--Micky Dees 12:10, 19 Jul 2005 (BST)