49 (West Riding) Signal Squadron (V)
49 (West Riding) Signal Squadron (V) has been around since April 1967 as part of 34 (Northern) Signal Regiment (V). It consists of 703 Troop based in Leeds and 745 (Access) Troop based in Hull. The Squadron is currently equipped with Ptarmigan, a digital, mobile, secure area communications system.
49's unit motto isQuisquam est possible per satis lubricant - which loosely translates as 'Anything is possible with enough lubricant'.
The core trades within the Squadron are:
Communication Systems Operators
Less Glamourous Trades
49 parades every Tuesday night at 7:30 at Carlton and Halifax Barracks in Leeds and Hull respectively.
Telegraph section formed.
Biggleswade Signal Depot formed, sections deployed with 5th, MEF GHQ, Airline/Wireless/Office sections and 11 Corps Sig Coy.
Reformed as 49th (West Riding) Divisional Signal Company (TA), with the merger of the Army troops in Leeds and the 49 Divisional Signals Coy in Sheffield
Kite Balloon section formed. This would eventually enter WW2 as 1st and 2nd Air Formation Signals Regiment. These disband at the end of WW2 (well converted to a regular formation), reformed in 1947 as part of 50 Air Formation Signals Regiment and continues today 81 Signal Squadron.
Expanded into a regiment.
Name change to 49th (West Riding and North Midland)Divisional Signal Regiment (following the converion of parts 46th (North Midland) Division to 2nd Anti Aircraft Division).
With the expansion of the TA a second line duplicate is formed as 46th (North Midland) Divisional Signals. In 1943 took part in the Operation TORCH landings, moving onto Italy and also Greece helping to stop the civil war, finally ending the war in the occupation of Austria (Note this has no connection to the present day [[46 (City of Derby) Signal Squadron]]).
This unit refomed post war (1947) as 51st (North Midland) Air Formation Signal Regiment, loosing the North Midland title in 1950. Afterwards becoming RHQ for 60 Signal Regiment in Middlesbrough and today exists as both HQ Sqn and 90 (North Riding) Signal Squadron (both in 34 Signal Regiment).
Reformed in Iceland as 49th (West Riding) Infantry Divisional Signals, the divisional training as a Artic and Mountain warfare unit. Also at this time, the division adopted the polar bear badge.
Returned to the UK to train as a D Day assault division.
Follow formation at D-Day, after Montgomery brought his favourite divisions back from the 8th Army, 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division taking their place along with 7th Armoured.
Reformed as 49th (West Riding & Midland) Armoured Signal Regiment, with squadrons in Leeds and Bradford.
49 changed to Infantry.
K Troop formed in Leicester (this troop is currently part if 46 (City of Derby) Signal Squadron - it will disband Feb-Apr or convert to a Royal Engineer Squadron).
Amalgamated with 60th (Mixed) Signal Regiment as 49th (Yorkshire) Signal Regiment. (It is likely the RHQ was now in Middlesbrough).
As part of the cuts to the TA the regiment reduced to its current form as part of 34 Signal Regiment.
Around this time 49 also absorbed parts of 336 Brigade Signal Squadron and the Yorkshire Yeomanry. It also took on a WRAC Signal Troop based in Hull (Hull's links to the corps started in 1920 when the 5th (Cyclist) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment merged with 50th (Northumbrian) Signal Regiment to form a Hull-based signals regiment - today it is now 745 Access Troop).
- AA Command by Colin Dobinson
- The Royal Corps of Signals by Cliff Lord and Graham Watson
- Divisions of the British Army 1939-45 by Malcolm A. Bellis
Like the rest of the British Army, 49 has a plethora of websites and other user generated tat: