“awe” + “-some”
- positive - awesome
- comparative - more awesome
- superlative - most awesome
- 1. (somewhat, dated or formal) Causing awe or terror; inspiring wonder or excitement.
The waterfall in the middle of the rainforest was an awesome sight. The tsunami was awesome in its destructive power.
- 2. (colloquial) Excellent, exciting, remarkable.
That was awesome!, That's awesome!! Awesome, dude!
- 3. (military) An Arrser.
The oldest meaning of "awesome" is "something which inspires awe", but the word is also a common slang expression in English. As the original meaning of awesome has become somewhat antiquated in general use, the term awe-inspiring is now generally used for the same meaning.
- The derived term teh awesome can be used sparingly to denote extremely good things.