The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home

King's Own Royal Regiment

From ARRSEpedia
Jump to: navigation, search

kingsown.jpg

The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)

History

The fine old county regiment of North Lancashire, 'The Kings Own' was formed in 1680 as the 2nd Tangier, or Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Foot. Unsurprisingly - and in common with many other foot regiments - the name changed many times over the years, notably:

  • 1684 - The Duchess of York and Albany's Regiment of Foot
  • 1685 - The Queen's Regiment of Foot
  • 1688 - The Queen Consort's Regiment of Foot
  • 1702 - The Queen's Regiment of Foot
  • 1703 - The Queen's Own Regiment of Marines
  • 1710 - The Queen's Own Regiment of Foot
  • 1715 - The King's Own Regiment of Foot
  • 1751 - 4th (The King's Own) Regiment of Foot
  • 1867 - 4th (The King's Own Royal) Regiment of Foot
  • 1881 - The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) with Militia and infantry battalions of the Volunteer Force
  • 1921 - The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)

The regiment was amalgamated with the Border Regiment in 1959, to form the King's Own Royal Border Regiment.

Honours & Awards

The regiment won eight VCs during the Great War.

External Links