1) Re-invented by the cunning Hun in time for WW1, the mortar was originally used in medieval times to lob a bloody great stone over a castle wall to annoy the defenders. The 20th century mortar is type of one-to-three-man, indirect fire artillery piece that could be easily moved from place to place. It lobs an explosive round at short ranges in a high arc which drops vertically onto enemy positions. Can be used offensively or defensively giving the average squaddie on call light artillery at all times ... unless you're relying on 3 Para Mortars who'll be out turning tricks!
It comes in a variety of calibres - from man portable (but ineffectual unless your nickname is lucky) to man portable? jeez you must be kidding! Lazy Spams stuck mortars into the back of a M113 APC, cut a large hatch in the roof to avoid the embarrassment of having the round explode inside the vehicle and called it the M1064A3 (because they can I guess).
- The soldier used a mortar to drop HE onto the German positions.
2) When a women farts and it is very loud and smelly
- Did you hear that?
- Yeah, that bitch let out a mortar.
3) Used in the expression
- She bangs like a belt fed mortar.
to compliment a member of the fairer sex with a very reasonable sex drive.