This is the main barrack complex for the Edinburgh Garrison and is located on Colinton Road.
Completed in 1915, it was the replacement for the New Barracks (built between 1796-9) in Edinburgh Castle.
It consisted, originally, of a cavalry barracks and an infantry barracks. The spaciousness of which gave rise to local legend that they were originally designed to be built in India since the stables looked as if they were designed to hold elephants!
The Infantry Barracks is now home to 3rd Battalion, The Rifles.
Elsewhere in the complex is a new medical centre and the Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming.