Royal Northumberland Fusiliers
Raised in 1674 as The Irish Regiment for service in the Low Countries during the Dutch Wars, the regiment was transferred to the English army establishment in 1685. It was numbered as the 5th Regiment of Foot in 1751 and became the 5th (the Northumberland) Regiment of Foot in 1782. Further changes occured in 1836 as the regiment was retitled the 5th Regiment of Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers).
The Cardwell Reforms of 1881 saw the loss of the numeric identity as the regiment became simply the Northumberland Fusiliers - incorporating Militia and Volunteer Force battalions. The regiment received its Royal prefix in 1935 becoming the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.
Honours & Awards