The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home

Princess Of Wales's Royal Regiment

From ARRSEpedia
Jump to: navigation, search

pwrr.jpg

gb-pwrr.gif

The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (PWRR) is the senior English infantry regiment of The Line. It was formed on 9 September 1992 with the amalgamation of The Queen's Regiment and The Royal Hampshire Regiment. It is the Infantry County Regiment of London, Surrey, Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Middlesex, Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands.

The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment traces its history back to 1572 when Queen Elizabeth I reviewed the Trained Bands of London. The Regiment's precedence in the British Army dates from the raising of the 2nd of Foot in 1661 for the defence of Tangier acquired by King Charles II on his marriage to Princess Catherine of Braganza. The nickname "The Tigers" comes from the 67th Foot (South Hampshire Regiment). Having served 21 years unbroken service in India, under active service conditions, King George IV authorised the Tiger sleeve badge in 1826.

The forebear regiments of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment fought in nearly all the major campaigns and wars in which the British Army was engaged. They have won 57 Victoria Crosses, including that awarded to Pte Beharry, and Lt Col Wilson, the only other living VC from the regiment.

The PWRR have two regular Battalions, one territorial Battalion and two territorial cap badged companies

The First Battalion is part of 20 Armoured Brigade, based in Paderborn, Germany. The unit is an Armoured Infantry unit, equipped with Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

The Second Battalion is generally considered as the best battalion in the regiment and is based in Ballykelly, Northern Ireland as part of 39 Infantry Brigade.

The Third Battalion is the Territorial Army battalion of the Regiment. The Companies of the battalion are based in Surrey (Farnham and Camberley - A Company), Kent (Canterbury and Dover - C and HQ Company), Sussex (Brighton and Worthing - B Company), Hampshire (Portsmouth and IOW - D Company) and Edgware (The London Regiment).

The Regimental Badge is a composition of the badges of the forebear regiments. The Dragon was awarded to The Buffs, in recognition of their Tudor origin, by Queen Anne, probably in 1707. It was a rare distinction for a Regiment to be honoured like this in those days, and is one of the earliest known Regimental Badges. Below the Tudor Dragon is The Hampshire Rose as worn by the Trained Bands of Hampshire, who fought so gallantly for King Henry V at Agincourt in 1415.

The surrounding device inscribed with the motto: 'Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense' (Evil to those who evil think) is a garter, as awarded to the Knights of the Order of the Garter. This is England's oldest Order of Chivalry, founded by King Edward III in 1348. The garter is taken from the badge of the Royal Sussex Regiment and the Officers' badge of The Royal Hampshire Regiment. The feathers above the Tudor Dragon are the Ostrich plumes worn by The Black Prince at the Battle of Crecy in 1346. The 15th Prince of Wales considered the East Middlesex Regiment to be deserving of his plumes for its exploits in India. The award was given the King's approval in 1810 and was subsequently included in the badge of the Middlesex Regiment.

The Regimental Headquarters are at:

Howe Barracks, Canterbury, Kent. CT1 1JY

The Regimental Museum is in the keep of Dover Castle.

The Colonel-in-Chief is Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and the Colonel of the Regiment is Brigadier Holmes CBE TD JP, a well known academic and TV presenter.